Data Lakes are a hot topic, but beyond the hype it’s important to discover answers to who’s actually using them and if they are creating value. To understand the adoption and maturity of Data Lakes, Attunity, Hortonworks, and Teradata sponsored research to uncover key trends.
Data Lakes are a hot topic, but beyond the hype it’s important to discover answers to who’s actually using them and if they are creating value. To understand the adoption and maturity of Data Lakes, Attunity, Hortonworks, and Teradata sponsored research to uncover key trends. The research surveyed 385 IT practitioners and stakeholders at organizations across industries and focused on key areas of concern and interest in Data Lake adoption.
At a high level, the research showed that:
- The Data Lake is increasingly recognized within a data strategy
- Clear early use cases exist for the Data Lake
- Governance and Security are still top of mind as challenges and success factors for the Data Lake
Drilling down on Governance and Security for example, the survey showed us that as adoption of the Data Lake continues, when it comes to governance, 62% of responders said that governance was a “must have” from the beginning, while 31% said that governance can be added incrementally. When it comes to security, 42% said that a Data Lake strategy cannot be started without a security framework in place. Another 45% said that the security framework must be consistent or even more robust than other IT database security policies.
Recently, we ran a live webinar that discusses the research findings. Some of the key topics covered were:
- The two biggest Data Lake adoption issues as experienced by surveyed companies
- Common use cases for Data Lakes in top companies, and which ones drive the most value
- Rethinking how data is used across your organization to break down silos
- Data lake best practices and pitfalls—what works and what does not
- How business leaders are gaining C-Suite buy-in for Data Lake project
The speakers were:
- Ron Bodkin, Founder and President, Think Big, a Teradata company
- Itamar Ankorion, Executive Vice President, Attunity
- Matt Morgan, VP of Product and Alliance Marketing, Hortonworks
We hope that you will join us to learn more about Data Lakes. Here’s the recorded version of the webinar or you can download the “Data Lake Adoption and Maturity Survey Findings” report.